With such awesome history in Newport, it’s fun to take good care of these cool, old houses. Catherine St was originally built in 1883 as a summer home for Francis Jones of New York City. The namesake of our little accommodations endeaver – Admiral Sims – and his family made it their home when he returned from the Navy in 1925. We offer the per diem rate to government and military travels in honor of him (plus we’re a military family too!!)
Less is known of the Mill St house. It was built in 1812 and we understand it was actually a lodging house at one time. At both locations, we encourage folks to “go green” when possible – recycle in the specially-marked bins, reuse linens and towels in order to reduce water and detergent use, and feel free to use the eco-friendly amenities with minimal preservatives, labeling and packing material.
Both houses are located in Newport’s famed Historic Hill neighborhood nestled between the ocean beach and Cliff Walk on one side and famous yachting wharfs, boutique shopping, and yummy restaurants on the other. It’s an easy walk to all, but most important …relax and make yourself at home.
- Check-in 3-8p by appointment
- Hotel check-out 11am, Apartment check-out 10am
- Free, offstreet parking for one car
- We are a smoke free home. Sprinklers & smoke detectors are for your
- Sorry, these old houses are not ADA accessible.
- Children & pets accepted with prior arrangements & fee (B&B is 25 per day per day, Apartments are 100 per stay)
- Apartment cleaning fee is 50 for one-bedroom and 100 for two-bedroom
- Some rooms can accommodate an extra person for 50 per night.
- Please be respectful of these old homes – we will charge for extra cleaning
- There is 7% state tax and 6% lodging tax.
- Deposit of one-night stay is required to reserve a B&B room. The balance is
due at check-in.
- Deposit of half is required to reserve an Apartment vacation rental. The
balance is due at check-in.
- B&B Cancellation policy: Since we are a small inn, we have a strict
cancellation / change policy. There is a $50 processing fee. If a reservation is cancelled or changed within 14 days prior to the arrival date and by 3pm on the day prior to arrival, we’ll deduct $50 per room from the depost and send you a Gift Certificate for the remainder. Otherwise, we’ll refund your deposit minus the cancellation / change fee. There are no refunds for early departures, no-shows, or cancellations after 3pm on the day before arrival.
- Apartment Cancellation policy: cancel at least 30 days before check-in and get back 100% of deposit. no refund after that.
- Gift Certificates are available – just ask!
We love pets!
House Rules for Pet Guests….
- Call to reserve our special pet room (1-401-841-0009 or 1-877-841-0009) – B&B fee is only $25 per day per pet – Apartment fee is $100 per stay pet owner is responsible for costs if damage occurs.
- For everyone’s safety, keep your pet on a leash when outside – some folks are scared of animals.
- Please pick up after your pet – we have extra plastic baggies!
- We do not offer a room refresh to pet rooms – we’ve learned from experience how territorial pets are. Ouch.
- Recommend you bring along a crate or carrier if you plan on leaving your pet in the room while you’re out on the town.
- Leave us your cell phone number – we must be able to contact you if your pet is barking or crying or scratching when you’re gone.
- Sorry, no pets at breakfast or at inside common areas – pet etiquette stipulates respect for other guests.
- Pets must have current vaccinations.
- We rarely have problems, but want to be clear – we will ask you to leave if there is any major misbehaving that impacts other guests. Mostly we find that pets who are accustomed to travel behave better than people! hee hee
- We ask each guest with a pet to understand & agree to these house rules.
Things to do…
- Brenton’s Point State Park – www.riparks.com/brenton.htm
- Cliff Walk – 3.5 mile hike with fabulous views! www.cliffwalk.com
- Fort Adams State Park – www.riparks.com/fortadams.htm
- Melville Ponds Recreation Area – W Main to Bayview Ter, www.melvilleponds.org
- Newport Dog Park – Connell Hwy at base of Pell Bridge
- Sakonnet Greenway Trail – 38 E Main Rd or Mitchell’s Ln, www.ailt.org
- Easton’s Beach – from Labor Day to Memorial Day
- Second Beach – after 6pm
- Ferry to Block Island – www.blockislandferry.com
- Gansett Cruises – 142 Long Wharf, 787-4438, www.gansettcruises.com
- Newport International Polo – Glen Farm, route 138, www.nptpolo.com
- Newport Vineyards – www.newportvineyards.com
- O’Brien’s Pub – 501 Thames St, 849-6623, www.theobrienspub.com
- Pasta Beach – 7 Memorial Blvd, 847-2222
- Nikolas Pizza – 38 Memorial Blvd, 849-6611, www.nikolaspizza.com
- Anthony’s Seafood – 963 Aquidneck Ave, 846-9620, www.anthonysseafood.net
- Canfield House – 5 Memorial Blvd, 847-0416, www.canfieldhousenewport.com
- Sardella’s Restaurant – 30 Memorial Blvd, 849-6312, www.sardellas.com
- Intl Yacht & Athletic Club (IYAC) – 536 Thames St, 841-5250
- Frosty Freez – doggies get ice cream too – 496 E. Main, 846-1697, www.frostyfreez.com
- Wag Nation – 92 Williams St, 619-3719, www.shopwagnation.com
- Black Dog General Store – 33 Banisters Wharf, 842-0339
- Rough Point – Doris Duke’s home on Bellevue. Dogs aren’t allowed now, but in the 20’s she allowed her dogs to romp through the 105 rooms, jump over the 300 year old sofas, & accidentally break her china – she fixed herself!
- Newport Animal Hospital – 333 Valley Rd, Middletown, 849-3400
- Groom Room – 619-5828, 68 Broadway
- The Wiggle Room – pet sitters, 741 W Main, 849-0044, www.thewiggleroomri.com
- Pet Services – Marco’s Dog Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 622-5575
- Pet Sitter – Pet Scort, 841-5330
- Markede Kennel – 599 E Main, Middletown, 847-2681
Wish you had a pet…or want to Donate?
Check out The Potter’s League, www.potterleague.org, our local pound. Milli adopted her lovable Pinot from Potter’s League and Cindy is a hearty supporter.
When your thoughts turn to enjoying the charm, beauty and history of legendary Newport, let your thoughts also turn to Admiral Sims’ House for comfort, relaxation, and the perfect “home away from home” while in Newport.
We’re family and pet friendly with prior arrangements. Join us at Admiral Sims’ House and you’ll appreciate modern conveniences in a quiet, historic setting.
ADA Website Compliance
Our goal is to provide a wonderful experience in the desirable location of Newport, RI. We have built our site with ADA compliance in mind and have utilized available tools such as achecker.ca and Google Chrome’s ADA compatibility diagnostic tools. Please be aware that our efforts are ongoing. If you have difficulty navigating our website or booking a room at our inn, we ask you to contact us via telephone or email and our helpful staff will be happy to assist you.
We work very hard to provide an easy-to-use online experience for all guests. We believe all of our website visitors should be able to easily research online on http://www.admiralsimsnewport.com/ regardless of device type and whether an individual requires assistive technology. Our hotel website allows visitors to search for accessibility featured guest rooms with ease and details our property’s accessibility features here. If you have any questions or would like to report any issues related to the accessibility features of our property’s website, please contact us at email@example.com
Bed and Breakfast Accessibility Features
While we welcome everyone to stay at our property, please note that the buildings on our property were built in 1812 and 1883 and are historic. We do not have any ADA Compliant rooms or features at the inn to accommodate those with disabilities. If you have any questions regarding the property and if it is suitable for your needs, just give us a call.
Bed and Breakfast Website Accessibility Features
Structured, Semantic Markup
HTML heading tags are used to convey the document structure. Navigation menus are tagged as HTML maps so that the menu title can be read out, and the menu items are presented as a group.
The site is designed to conform to Level AA compliance as specified by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. All pages validate as XHTML 1.0 and use structured semantic markup
Accessibility Software and Services
The following tools and services are available for free to assist you with viewing and interacting with our website:
Optimize the way you view your web browser. If you have difficulty in reading our website on your screen, you may be able to change the settings on your browser to help you improve readability and visibility of each webpage:
Learn about the Accessibility features of these major Internet Browsers below:
- Mozilla Firefox: Click Here for Mozilla Firefox Accessibility Features
- Google Chrome: Click Here for Google Accessibility Features
- Internet Explorer: Click Here for Microsoft Internet Explorer Ease of Access Options
- Apple Safari: Click Here for Apple Accessibility Support